Usage Frequency Classes For Gate Openers
Usage classes and frequency of use are important to understand before purchasing a gate opener. BFT Automatic Gate Openers follow a standard format in which they are broken down into 4 different categories:
Gate Operator Frequency of Usage Classes
- Semi-Intensive - Gate operators that average an opening time of 4 seconds which makes them a great choice for non-frequent uses in car parks or car washes.
- Intensive - Can be used for various contexts. Car washes are very popular for intensive units as they will be used fairly often but not as much as very intensive gate openers.
- Very Intensive - Meant for high, frequent usage; however, not as much as continuous.
- Continuous - Very high frequency of use, typically installed for applications like large car parks or toll booths with frequent inversions of movement.
Gate Operator Classes
The latest revision to the UL 325 standard has introduced a classification for the different types of gate systems. Ideally, classifying the gate systems and their intended uses will allow for more clarity when adhering to safety standards. Each class has the required types of obstruction-sensing devices. The classes are as follows:
- Class I - Residential Vehicular Gate Operator: “ A vehicular gate operator or system intended for use in garages or parking areas associated with a residence of one to four single families.”
- Class II - Commercial/General Access Vehicular Gate Operator: A vehicular gate operator or system intended for use in a commercial location or building such as a multi-family housing unit (five or more single-family units), hotels, garages, retail store, or other buildings accessible by or servicing the general public.”
- Class III - Industrial /Limited Access Vehicular Gate Operator: “ A vehicular gate operator or system intended for use in an industrial location or building such as a factory or loading dock area or other locations not accessible by or intended to service the general public.”
- Class IV - Restricted Access Vehicular Gate Operator: “ A vehicular gate operator or system intended for use in a guarded industrial location or building such as an airport security area or other restricted access locations not servicing the general public, in which authorized access is prevented via supervision by security personnel."
Figuring out what gate opener is needed for any application can seem daunting, but we are here to help. Feel free to contact one of our helpful sales representatives if you have a question or would like to place an order. We are glad to help!